Thursday, August 16, 2007

OH... HOW I LOVE TYPHOON SEASON!!!

Packing winds of 184 kilometers (114 miles) per hour, Sepat is moving toward Taiwan at a speed of 17 kph (10 mph). If Sepat stays at its current course, the fringe of the storm could affect the island early Friday and possibly make landfall over Taiwan at night.

We have had a few storms come by this season, but no direct hits. We got lots of rain, and wind. It wasn't to severe. This one is acting like it is going to run straight up the Island, but It could change course unexpectedly.

I love the weather that precedes the typhoon. The city air is cleaned as large gusts of wind sweep through the streets. In the early stages the sky is still clear and the view of the city from my roof or the neighborhood mountain is crisp and clear; no smog clouds the view. When it is clear I am amazed, one sees distant sights one can not on the average day.

Its starting to rain, and the wind is picking up. I enjoy the thrill...the change in barometric pressure... the wind and all of the aspects of these tropical storms. The biggest dangers are the wind and flooding. Fortunately I feel safe high up in my concrete and steel building, and when I venture out into the storm I make the trips short. Right now I am gearing up to get some bottled water. We will see what morning brings.

DJH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home