Friday, August 05, 2005

I love Taiwan................ Finally I have found an apartment. I will be moving in with a couple of Canadians. They seem pretty cool. I look forward to the experience. I can't believe how cheap it is. The price is $6000NT a month which is around $218US. It is on the 5th floor with no elevator, but it's close to some mountains and has a great view of Taipei 101. It's also right between 2 Metro train stations, so I can get to almost any where in the city by metro el or subway. I am less then 2km (I have gone metric and I am not going back) from my school. Taipei is awesome. It is amazing how nice the people are. Many of them want to practice their English with me. I was trying to find the internet cafe where I am currently writing from, I was given directions to the approximate location. I couldn't find it, so I stopped into a book store and asked if they know where it was. The guy left his shop and walked me some 3 blocks to the cafe. Something else that I enjoy is the fact that that I can buy sushi at the 7-11. 6 rolls for $28NT that's less then $1US. Some may find the idea of eating sushi from a 7-11 store a bit scary. I find it far more settling then eating it in Iowa. Other then friends and family; one thing I miss about the Midwest is fresh air. The air during the afternoon rush hour is hard to breath. There are several million people in Taipei, and millions of of cars and even more mopeds and motorcycles. It's hard to believe that so many vehicles exist in a country no bigger then Illinois. I have had only a few opportunities to do sightseeing. I went to the Chiang Kai-Shek memorial. He was the first president of modern Taiwan. The architecture is monumental. I climbed the steps on the outside and watched the changing of the guards. It was interesting. I also went to the infamous Snake Ally night market. It is a must see for anyone visiting Taipei. There are snakes their. They "charm", or more like torment poisonous snakes right in front of you. There is nothing between you and the snakes. I didn't stand in the first row of people. The place is packed with people, and you can buy almost anything you want. I walked through some of the side alleys around the market. Seeing how I can't read Mandarin, I don't know exactly what was going on in the little shops that I saw there. All I saw was a lot of girls and hallways full of private rooms. I Could write for hours, but its getting late. One last thing, Typhoon Matsa is nearing Taiwan. The weather is getting crazy. It's storming right now. Of course they don't have snow days in Taiwan, but we might have a Typhoon day tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home